Welcome to the Networked & Embedded Systems Laboratory (NESL) at the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA). Our lab is a part of the Electrical & Computer Engineering Department, and the Computer Science Department. NESL is physically located in 1762 Boelter Hall on UCLA's campus in Westwood, Los Angeles. Our research is in the broad area of embedded and cyber-physical systems for applications in IoT, ubiquitous and mobile computing, and pervasive sensing and control. Our interests are in problems related to making these systems learning-enabled, secure, privacy-aware, human-coupled, wirelessly-networked, and energy-efficient. We take a full-stack approach in our research, working across all layers of systems including algorithms, applications, software, and hardware.
Feel free to explore this web site, and in case of any questions about NESL, please contact Prof. Mani Srivastava. To get a good sense of our current research activity, please look at Prof. Mani Srivastava's publication list on Google Scholar.
NESL is also a part of several exciting center-scale multi-institutional collaborations, whose websites provide further details and the broader context of our research.
• Tianwei Xing successfully defended his thesis (2021-02-12) [Details]
• Swapnil Sayan Saha and Sandeep Singh Sandha wins 3rd position in Cooking Activity Recognition Challenge (2020-08-29) [Details]
• Renju Liu successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis (2020-08-19) [Details]
• J.Vikranth Jeyakumar, Joseph Noor, Luis A. Garcia, and Mani B. Srivastava. "How Can I Explain This to You? An Empirical Study of Deep Neural Network Explanation Methods", NeurIPS , December 2020. [ Details ]
• Sandeep Singh Sandha, Bharathan Balaji, Fatima M. Anwar, and Mani B. Srivastava. "Sim2Real Transfer for Deep Reinforcement Learning with Stochastic State Transition Delays", CoRL, December 2020. [ Details ]
• Ziqi Wang, Akash Deep Singh, Luis A. Garcia, and Mani B. Srivastava. "UWHear: Through-wall Extraction and Separation of Audio Vibrations Using Wireless Signals", SenSys '20: Proceedings of the 18th Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, November 2020. [ Details ]
• J.Vikranth Jeyakumar, and Mani B. Srivastava. "Combining Individual and Joint Networking Behavior for Intelligent IoT Analytics", International Conference on Internet of Things, September 2020. [ Details ]