Welcome to the Networked & Embedded Systems Laboratory (NESL) at the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA). Our lab is a part of the Electrical & Computer Engineering Department, and the Computer Science Department. NESL is physically located in 1762 Boelter Hall on UCLA's campus in Westwood, Los Angeles. Our research is in the broad area of embedded and cyber-physical systems for applications in IoT, ubiquitous and mobile computing, and pervasive sensing and control. Our interests are in problems related to making these systems learning-enabled, secure, privacy-aware, human-coupled, wirelessly-networked, and energy-efficient. We take a full-stack approach in our research, working across all layers of systems including algorithms, applications, software, and hardware.
Feel free to explore this web site, and in case of any questions about NESL, please contact Prof. Mani Srivastava. To get a good sense of our current research activity, please look at Prof. Mani Srivastava's publication list on Google Scholar.
NESL is also a part of several exciting center-scale multi-institutional collaborations, whose websites provide further details and the broader context of our research.
• Congratulations to Joseph on successful Ph.D. Defense (2021-07-01) [Details]
• Swapnil Sayan Saha recognized for Distinguished Master’s Research Award (Finalist) (2021-05-22) [Details]
• Sandeep awarded the Outstanding Mentorship Award by the UCLA computer science department. (2021-05-18) [Details]
• Ziqi Wang, Brian Wang, and Mani B. Srivastava. "Protecting User Data Privacy with Adversarial Perturbations", The 2021 ACM/IEEE Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN) Conference, May 2021. [ Details ]
• Renju Liu, Luis A. Garcia, Zaoxing Liu, Botong Ou, and Mani B. Srivastava. "SecDeep: Secure and Performant On-device Deep Learning Inference Framework for Mobile and IoT Devices", The 6th ACM/IEEE Conference on Internet of Things Design and Implementation (IoTDI 2021), May 2021. [ Details ]
• Tianwei Xing, Luis A. Garcia, Federico Cerutti, Lance Kaplan, Alun Preece, and Mani B. Srivastava. "DeepSQA: Understanding Sensor Data via Question Answering", The 6th ACM/IEEE Conference on Internet of Things Design and Implementation (IoTDI 2021), May 2021. [ Details ]
• Akash Deep Singh, Luis A. Garcia, Joseph Noor, and Mani B. Srivastava. "I Always Feel Like Somebody's Sensing Me! A Framework to Detect, Identify, and Localize Clandestine Wireless Sensors", Usenix Security 2021, April 2021. [ Details ]